The Databases module sets out essential concepts and skills relating to understanding the concept of a database and demonstrating competence in using a database application.
In today’s world, information is very important, and being able to get the information you need easily and quickly can be done with databases. The Databases module covers the definition of a database and how it is organized, table creation and linking, as well as filters, queries, forms and reports.
|Understanding databases|| |
|Using the application|| |
|Retrieving information|| |
What are the benefits of this module?
- Covers the key skills needed to organise and operate a database.
- Can be applied to a range of database software from vendor packages to ‘freeware’.
- Certifies best practice in effective database software use.
- Developed with input from computer users, subject matter experts, and practising computer professionals from all over the world. This process ensures the relevance and range of module content.
On completion of this module the student will be able to:
- Understand what a database is and how it is organised.
- Create a simple database and view the database content in various modes.
- Create a table, define and modify fields, and create relationships between tables. Enter and edit data in a table.
- Use filters and queries to retrieve specific information from a database.
- Create a form to enter, modify, and delete records and data in records.
- Create routine reports and prepare outputs ready for print or electronic distribution.
The detailed syllabus for the Databases module is publicly available, so that there is complete clarity about what is covered.
The syllabus document, which sets out the specific skills and knowledge that you will learn and against which you will be certified, can be downloaded here.
Do you want to better understand the Databases module and how we test skills and knowledge?
Try out the Databases sample tests here to get a feel for the coverage of the module, or practice before your certification test.
ICDL Digital Student
Digital skills to design and develop, share and protect
ICDL is the world’s leading digital skills certification, which helps people to develop and certify their skills in using a computer. Consisting of a number of modules, with the flexibility for teachers to choose the topics that meet the needs of their students, ICDL is an ideal way for schools to help develop their students’ digital skills.
Schools around the world use ICDL. ICDL Digital Student offers both flexibility, and a range of levels, along with an up-to-date offering that is kept to rigorously high standards around the world. Students can benefit from an internationally recognised certification that is mapped to a number of qualifications frameworks and standards, and which integrates with curricula in several countries.
The modules in ICDL Digital Student are:
Offer ICDL at your school
To offer ICDL to your learners, students and staff you will need to become an ICDL Accredited Test Centre (ATC).