The Information Literacy module sets out essential concepts and skills relating to identifying, searching, evaluating, organising and communicating online information.
Today’s digital landscape offers young people unprecedented access to tools and resources for learning. The information that students encounter, however, is not always accurate or high-quality. Foundational information and digital literacy skills, such as conducting strategic online searches, judging the legitimacy of online sources, sifting out misinformation, and recognizing advertising, can help set students up for success as lifelong learners and prepare them for the workplace.
|Searching for information||
|Evaluating and organising information||
What are the benefits of this module?
- Certifies best practice in information literacy.
- Covers the key skills and knowledge needed when researching and evaluating topics on the web.
- Can be applied to research and information search relating to any topic area.
- Ensures that you can create factually sound, well-structured, well-researched, and appropriately expressed outputs.
- Developed by ICDL Foundation, a global social enterprise with 20 years of experience in developing individuals’ digital competences.
On completion of this module the students will be able to:
- Determine what online information is needed to meet a particular requirement.
- Search securely for online information using search engines and social media applications.
- Critically evaluate information using a range of criteria.
- Manage and organise information using a range of tools.
- Plan, draft, review and deliver online information.
The detailed syllabus for the Information Literacy module is publicly available, so that there is complete clarity about what is covered.
The syllabus document, which sets out the specific skills and knowledge that you will learn and against which you will be certified, can be downloaded here.
Do you want to better understand the Information Literacy module and how we test skills and knowledge
Try out the Information Literacy sample tests here to get a feel for the coverage of the module, or practice before your certification test.
ICDL Digital Student
Digital skills to design and develop, share and protect
ICDL is the world’s leading digital skills certification, which helps people to develop and certify their skills in using a computer. Consisting of a number of modules, with the flexibility for teachers to choose the topics that meet the needs of their students, ICDL is an ideal way for schools to help develop their students’ digital skills.
Schools around the world use ICDL. ICDL Digital Student offers both flexibility, and a range of levels, along with an up-to-date offering that is kept to rigorously high standards around the world. Students can benefit from an internationally recognised certification that is mapped to a number of qualifications frameworks and standards, and which integrates with curricula in several countries.
The modules in ICDL Digital Student are:
Offer ICDL in your school
ICDL is a global digital skills certification. With a wide range of courses to choose from, ICDL offers the real world digital skills your students need to excel and become more productive learners, employees, entrepreneurs and citizens.
To offer ICDL to your learners, students and staff you will need to become an ICDL Accredited Test Centre (ATC).