Internet of Things (IoT)
The IoT module introduces the Internet of Things, which extends Internet connectivity from computers and related devices to other physical devices or common objects and leverages from technologies such as embedded systems, wireless sensors, and automation.
Over the last few years, there has been an explosion in the scale of the Internet of Things. Homes, offices, factories and entire cities are being made “smart” by the proliferation of Internet-connected devices. Some estimates suggest that the number of connected IoT devices will reach 41.6 billion by 2025. Organisations and societies are only now starting to grasp the potential and implications of this trend.
This module is suitable for a wide range of candidates; for example, non-technical professionals who wish to build
and demonstrate an understanding of IoT, facilitating engagement with their technical colleagues or their suppliers, or students who wish to add general technical knowledge to sector-specific or general studies.
Build an understanding of the key concepts and potential of the Internet of Things (IoT) for organisations and for society
Main learning outcomes
The IoT module consists of e-learning followed by a brief certification test. Together,
these components deliver a short, focused professional development solution.
- Understand key concepts relating
to Internet of Things (IoT), including common structure and requirements
- Recognise examples of consumer, commercial, industrial, and infrastructural applications of IoT
- Identify current trends in IoT, including the evolution of IoT components and the important role played by governance.
- Understand ethical, security, and interoperability considerations around adoption of IoT, and consider how IoT could be implemented in a given scenario
- Consider appropriate solutions and models for implementing cloud computing in a given scenario or situation
Why certify with ICDL?
- ICDL certification is internationally recognised by employers and institutions.
- ICDL Insights modules combine cutting- edge e-learning with a brief certification test to demonstrate your mastery of the relevant concepts and good practice.
- ICDL Insights modules can be coupled with more comprehensive, skills-focused modules to build a profile of skills, knowledge, and competences that are relevant to your career.
- ICDL syllabus content is vendor- independent so that skills, knowledge, and competence are transferable.
Digital understanding for business managers
Designed to address the requirement for current and future business managers to develop an understanding of trending and emerging technology, ICDL Insights offers overview modules that are contextualised in a practical way. These short, introductory modules provide the conceptual understanding to allow managers who are not IT professionals to consider the potential of technology and have informed conversations with IT professionals or specialists.
The modules in ICDL Insights are:
The detailed syllabus for the E-Commerce module is publicly available, so that there is complete clarity about what is covered.
The syllabus document, which sets out the specific skills and knowledge that you will learn and against which you will be certified, can be downloaded here.