Computer and Online Essentials
The Computer & Online Essentials module covers the main concepts and skills needed for using computers and devices, file and application management, networks, online information, online communication, and safety.
Technology is a key element of every modern job. Working with computers and devices, as well as using online tools and applications effectively are requirements for everyone. This module is suitable for those who use computers to carry out specific tasks but also as a foundation for developing further competences in the effective use of technology in the workplace. While most people are aware of some common tasks on computers or online, they may also benefit from important additional skills or knowledge relating to managing device settings, browsing, or communication.
|Computers and devices|| |
|Managing files and applications|| |
|Online Communication|| |
Main Learning Outcomes
- Understand key concepts and carry out key activities relating to hardware and software
- Manage files and folders, store data
- Understand network concepts and connect to a network
- Find and manage online information effectively, and manage browser settings
- Understand considerations relating to the effective use of common communication tools
- Send, receive, and manage emails, and use calendars.
- Understand potential threats and ways to protect computers, devices, and data.
On completion of this module the candidate will be able to:
- Understand key concepts relating to ICT, computers, devices and software.
- Start up and shut down a computer
- Work effectively on the computer desktop using icons, windows
- Adjust the main operating system settings and use built-in help features
- Create a simple document and print an output
- Know about the main concepts of file management and be able to efficiently organise files and folders
- Understand key storage concepts and use utility software to compress and extract large files
- Understand network concepts and connection options and be able to connect to a network
- Understand the importance of protecting data and devices from malware, and the importance of backing up data
- Recognise considerations relating to green IT, accessibility, and user health
The detailed syllabus for the Computer and Essentials module is publicly available, so that there is complete clarity about what is covered.
The syllabus document, which sets out the specific skills and knowledge that you will learn and against which you will be certified, can be downloaded here.
Do you want to better understand the Computer and Online Essentials module and how we test skills and knowledge?
Try out the Computer and Online Essentials sample tests here to get a feel for the coverage of the module, or practice before your certification test.
ICDL Workforce modules
ICDL Workforce is designed to build the digital skills of the modern workplace. These modules will help employees and candidates demonstrate their effective use of technology with skills and knowledge that can be further developed by progressing to the ICDL Professional modules and beyond.
The modules in ICDL Workforce are: