The Computer Essentials module sets out essential concepts and skills relating to the use of devices, file creation and management, networks, and data security.
There is a range of essentials skills and knowledge that everyone who uses technology should possess. These skills and knowledge will allow you to manage computers, devices, and data securely and effectively. ICDL Computer Essentials builds these, allowing you take advantage of the opportunity technology provides in the workplace.
|Computers and devices|| |
|Desktop, icons, settings|| |
|File management|| |
|Security and wellbeing|| |
What are the benefits of this module?
- Covers the key skills and main concepts relating to ICT, computers, devices, and software
- Certifies best practice in effective computer use
- Developed with input from computer users, subject matter experts, and practising computer professionals from all over the world. This process ensures the relevence and range of module content
On completion of this module the candidate will be able to:
- Understand key concepts relating to ICT, computers, devices and software.
- Start up and shut down a computer
- Work effectively on the computer desktop using icons, windows
- Adjust the main operating system settings and use built-in help features
- Create a simple document and print an output
- Know about the main concepts of file management and be able to efficiently organise files and folders
- Understand key storage concepts and use utility software to compress and extract large files
- Understand network concepts and connection options and be able to connect to a network
- Understand the importance of protecting data and devices from malware, and the importance of backing up data
- Recognise considerations relating to green IT, accessibility, and user health
The detailed syllabus for the Computer Essentials module is publicly available, so that there is complete clarity about what is covered.
The syllabus document, which sets out the specific skills and knowledge that you will learn and against which you will be certified, can be downloaded here.
Do you want to better understand the Computer Essentials module and how we test skills and knowledge?
Try out the Computer Essentials sample tests here to get a feel for the coverage of the module, or practice before your certification test.
ICDL Workforce modules
Designed to build the critical digital skills of the modern workplace, ICDL Workforce is a tiered programme that will help employees with effective use of technology.
It starts with the Essential Skills modules that are important for many other ICDL programmes. The Office Applications modules develop skills that are commonly used in working life. Complementing these skills are the Good Practice modules, which ensure safe, legal and productive use of technology in the workplace.
The modules in ICDL Workforce are: